Monday, November 17, 2008

a typical forensics tournament

up early (now the third day in a row that i've not gotten nearly enough sleep) and spent the van ride desperately attempting to finish last-minute memorizing.  here was my schedule:

8:00am--go to first round of CA.  Stand in the front of the room, stumble, gain confidence, then 2/3 through the speech lose everything and have to pick up notecards from the back of the room.  Embarrassment.
8:30am--go down 2 flights of stairs and perform POI to a room full of non-responsive women.  C'mon!  This is a good piece!
9:30am--go to 2nd round of CA.  Abandon all hopes of performing the speech memorized.  Use notecards the entire time. 
10:00am--go to 2nd round of POI.  Deliver break-up piece to a bunch of men.  Fantastic. 
11:00am--meet the rest of the team for lunch break and last minute practicing on prose.
1:30pm--1st round of prose.  It was bad.
3:30pm--2nd round of prose.  It was worse (just me and the judge.  I looooove it when that happens.)
5:00pm--find out that I broke! (for the first time this semester!!!!) into finals.  run to bathroom to practice.
5:15pm--go to round by myself and feel incredibly unsupported.  watch amazing people.  feel unworthy of being in this round.
7:00pm--watch ADS with Ann.  Laughed, got bored, laughed some more.  "I know I wouldn't want to put Ballz or Red Bull in my Heini."
9:00pm--awards with the team who is resentful that they have to stay because I'm the only one who broke.  Bittersweet vindication.
10:00pm--head to Demo's for dinner.  Get scared by Ann's reckless driving. eat steak and spaghetti.  read surprisingly supportive ballots.
12:00am--finally start driving home.
2:00am--stop at hotel.

long day.  wishing i had a re-charge day.

No comments: