Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Andrew's thoughts about my paper are clear

First thesis meeting of the summer. We're both feeling quite overwhelmed by the project. Actually, it's more truthfully one sided overwhelm-ment, as I read his feedback and think, "Seriously, wtf was I thinking?! I am in no means capable of attacking so huge a theoretical ocean."

(the ocean analogy emerges from one of our first meetings, when Andrew told me that different theorists ride upon different boats, and while I'm currently "walking from boat to boat without any consequence...the various boat-rowers want you to choose their boat. They're confident they can take you on the best ride." So, genre theory is an ocean that critics/theorists (I'm not sure if I quite understand the distinction at this juncture (how many parenthetical statements can I combine in one post?!)) navigate the waters with row-boats. Or streamliners. Or sail-boats. Or cruise ships. Regardless, there are a lot of effing boats to choose from.)

No comments: