Wednesday, January 16, 2008

face-to-face

This image came to me walking in the rain the other day. As a friend and I walked past the glass walls of the Akron library, we saw our reflection walking beside us. Glancing at our feet in the windows, there was another reflection of our legs in the rain on the sidewalk. Up, down, glide, connect. Up-down-glide-connect. It was really cool. (how's that for a juvenile and anti-climactic description?)

What struck me is an image of myself holding myself up. As if with every step I took, there was another just like me walking (upside down, of course) with me. And we were mutually dependent on each other.

What would happen if that person wasn't there anymore? What if I went to take a step, and instead of placing my foot on solid ground, I fell through and came face-to-face with my other self, wounded and unable to support me?

The only way to walk is to carefully watch and make sure the other is placing their foot with as much precision as I am.

It could be a look into the importance of self-reliance or something, too. Although i don't know how much I believe that living well consists of being utterly confident in myself. Where would be the need for God?

Ah, well. It's an image that intrigued me.

No comments: