Thursday, July 31, 2008

Screenplay Part 2

I think I wrote earlier about wanting to write a screenplay?  If not, check my other blog to read more in depth about the panic I feel.

Because I've never written a screenplay.  I don't think in a mind of screenplays.  I think in images, which is conducive to motion pictures, but that doesn't provide the dialogue, the situation, the plot, the substance.

Because not only do I have to write it, but I also plan on directing it.  Which means I'm constantly trying to think in terms of plausibility.  Producing a film last semester makes me ten times more aware of Malone's limited budget, and therefore its ability to make a short film.  

Oh, short films are made.  But it takes a lot more creativity, and sometimes a sacrifice on quality because of it.  

And besides, I don't want to make things too hard for myself.

But one thing's for sure.  I want the film to focus on women and the subtleties of women friendships.  In some cases, they can be beautiful bonding relationships that empower women and provide great depth and community.  Unfortunately, they can also be full of petty quarrels and competitions in terms of intellect, beauty, validity as a woman. 

So I'm struggling to think if I want to do three different relationships, or perhaps the same two women who are in three different situations and maybe even time periods...or....or....

No comments: